This is also for their loved ones, people who think they might have a problem or those that are in denial but want to check it out to prove to themselves that they do not have a problem.
It is strongly recommended that you have a medical check-up to rule out other conditions that have similar symptoms.
Authoritative SourcesIn this specific section, these are for the most part non-profit or governmental agencies that provide solid, verifiable information about a variety of treatment options, resources and support.
- Anxiety and Depression Association of America
- Anxiety BC for our Canadian peeps as well as their YouTube channel
- HelpGuide.org focuses more on non-medication related treatment and resources.
- National Alliance of Mental Health
- National Institute of Mental Health page on Anxiety Disorders
- National Institute of Mental Health page on General Anxiety Disorders http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/generalized-anxiety-disorder-gad
African American and Diaspora Mental Health Resources
Apps, Software, Online Services, Hardware and X = the Unknown
- Calm Meditation App for Android, Chromebook, iOS and Windows via desktop
- Marianne Geoffroy Panic Relief App in Google Play https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.indention.panicrelieffree
- Relax and Sleep Well App for Android and iOS
- Saagara Relaxation Stress and Anxiety Relief App for iOS https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/relax-stress-anxiety-relief/id408784780?mt=8
- Saagara Relax Stress and Anxiety Relief App for Android https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.saagara.relax&hl=en
- Saagara Relax Stress and Anxiety Relief App for Windows Phone http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/relax-stress-anxiety-relief/2b84d360-daee-467c-a408-d3e11423567b
- Stop Breath Think - an app that helps guide your mindfulness practice
- Thync device for mood alterations using a hardware appliance and a phone app.
- Worry Watch App for Anxiety
Breathing, Meditation, Mindfulness and Relaxation
- Australian Buddhanet http://www.buddhanet.net/audio-library.htm
- Anxiety Association of Manitoba (Canada) Relaxation audio and video media. http://www.adam.mb.ca/audio-relaxation
- Dr. Berg video on Breathing for Sleep
- Free Mindfulness http://www.freemindfulness.org/download
- In the Heat of the Moment from Mindful.org
- Mindful Meditations at the Hammer Museum Podcast https://itunes.apple.com/us/itunes-u/mindful-mediation-at-hammer/id601163439?mt=10
- Pocket Mindfulness http://www.pocketmindfulness.com/just-1-minute-could-save-your-sanity
- What is Mindfulness http://www.wildmind.org/applied/daily-life/what-is-mindfulness
- UCLA Mindful Awareness Research Center’s Free Guided Meditations http://marc.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=22
Food, Nutrition and Nutraceuticals
- American Family Physician Herbal and Dietary Supplements for Treatment of Anxiety Disorders published in 2007. This is the PDF version
- National Institute of Health Dietary Supplement Database
- Best Health Magazine Canada Eight Nutrients to Help Beat Anxiety
- Explore Integrative Medicine page from UCLA
- University of Maryland page on anxiety treatment that also has info on CAM type treatments.
Inventory, Quizzes and Tests
- ACES Too High - A test for childhood trauma events that might be related to adult disorders.
- What Is My M3? - Test for Mood Disorders
- Drug Lib
- Merke Manuals This is a pharmaceutical company that has for years produced a help guide for consumers and medical professionals. This is the on-line version that is free to access. Please keep in mind that their business is healthcare products and that the manual; specifically when it comes to mental health issues, nine times out of ten will recommend a pill.
- The Pill Book by Random House Publishing
- Safe Medications Information Page
Mental Health Support Resources
- Bring Change 2 Mind – non-profit that seeks to take the stigma out of talking about mental health issues. http://bringchange2mind.org/learn/what-is-stigma/ and their YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfQOPrPbaFy6xZWxMwkF6g
- Finding a Therapist that Can Help You Heal from Helpguide.org
- League of Awkward Unicorns A great podcast about emotional and mental health issues with humor, tears and lots of compassion.
Specific Disorder Resources
- American Psychological Association page on Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy as treatment option from National Institute of Mental Health
- Harvard Health Publications on Anxiety Issues. Some reports are fee based.
- How To Manage Anxiety via Anxiety and Depression Association of America
- Pain Science on Anxiety Grounding Techniques
- Ask the Dentist - good plain English responses to common dental concerns
- Dental Fear Central - Outstanding site for those that have dental anxiety, fear of the dentist, sexual abuse issues relating to going to the dentist and more
- PsychCentral on Three Ways to Make Your Next Dental Procedure More Tolerable
- Cornell University Depression Toolkit PDF
- Depression Self-Health Checklist PDF chart to help you track the positive things you can do to help manage your condition.
- Psychology Today page on Depression disorders
- University of Wisconsin PDF on Handout on Loving Kindness and Depression
- American Psychiatric Association page on Compulsive Hording
- IOCD Information Fact Sheet on Compulsive Hoarding
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and Related Disorders
Panic Attacks and Disorders
- American Psychological Association page on Panic Disorder and treatment with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Panic Attack/Disorder and You Need to go to the Dentist
Fears and Phobias
- Agoraphobia information at MedLinePlus
- Bullying connection to anxiety conditions via StopBullying.org
- Helpguide.org page on Phobias and Fears
- MedLine Plus page on Phobias
Social Anxiety/Social Phobia
- Anxiety.org page on What is Social Anxiety
- Anxiety BC A downloadable PDF on dealing with Social Anxiety
- National Institute of Mental Health PDF on Social Phobia
Links to other sites are provided for information purposes only and do not constitute endorsements.
Always seek the advice of a qualified health provider with questions you may have regarding a medical or mental health disorder.
This blog and podcast is intended for informational and educational purposes only.
Nothing in this program is intended to be a substitute for professional psychological, psychiatric or medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.